On Call 24 hours a day Providing Fire protection, Rescue, and First Responders
The Hohenwald Volunteer Fire Department was formed in the spring of 1927 after the Great Fire of ‘26, when the North side of Hohenwald’s business area burnt. Before then, fires were fought by members of the community with “bucket brigades”. The only water sources were wells and cisterns. The delay in forming the department was the lack of a water system in Hohenwald.
The first fire engine was a 1930 Model-A Ford. This engine was built by the Buffalo Fire Appliance Corp.
The 1930 Buffalo-Ford was a 350 GPM triple combination pumper. This unit still used in local parades and car shows.
The first Fire Chief was H.G. Defoe.
The Hohenwald Fire Department had been an all volunteer department until 2003, when the City of Hohenwald hired a full time Fire Chief. In 2007 the City of Hohenwald hired two full time firefighters and at present time has a full time Fire Chief, one full time firefighter and twenty eight volunteer firefighters.
These individules operate 2 Class A engines, 1 tela-squirt, and 2 rescue vehicles. They respond to structure fires, grass fires, haz-mat, and MVA’s. The depaartment also operates a county wide medical first responder program providing coverage for all of the county as needed.
Training includes but not limited to basic fire fighting, rope rescue, haz-mat, swift water training and all types of vehicle rescues.